Den tirsdag den 5. september 2017 kl. 23.48.08 UTC skrev Mark Eubanks:
> On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 12:06:28 PM UTC-4, Mark Eubanks wrote:
> > Can someone explain why I can start the work VM but when I start the
> > personal I get the ERROR: insufficient mem .  Even though the memory
> > settings are the same
> >

> > thanks
>
> I have 16 gig of ram but if I do a free -m it only shows a total of 1058
> used 364 free 26 . I'm not doing anything on any of the VM's its pretty much
> a new install and I can't open the personal vm .Anyone have any ideas

ah, you did this in Dom0 terminal right?
The reason is because Qubes attempts to automatically balance which AppVM gets
more RAM than the other. If you right click on each AppVM in the Qubes Manager
(Qubes 3.2), you can see the automatic memory setting under the Advanced tab,
near the RAM amount fields.
So since each AppVM gets their fair share of the RAM portion, Dom0 will have
less memory for itself. This might change dynamically, for example if you run a
lot of AppVM's, the amount of RAM Dom0 has may shrink. Wnile not many AppVM's
are running, or after a fresh boot, Dom0 should have more memory.
If you open the Qubes Manager in Qubes 3.2, you can see the allocated memory to
Dom0 and each the VM's. If it isnt visible, then you can make it visible at the
top in the "View" menu.

Also note that automatic memory dyanamics does not work if a VM has a PCI card
passed through. So if you have any with automatic memory dynamics disabled, be
careful you don't give it too much of your RAM resources. 16GB is a good
amount, but it can still quickly run you if you have the wrong settings, or run
unusual memory hungry and intensive programs.