On 09/28/2017 10:55 AM, Johannes Graumann wrote:
On Wed, 2017-09-27 at 13:19 +0200, Johannes Graumann wrote:
Gentlepeople,

I recently managed to install the community whonix templates into my
4.0 setup and have since been striving to recreate the arrangements
of
proxyvms etc. I ran in 3.2.

In this process I erroneously create a vm called 'sys-whonix-gw',
using
the whonix-gw template. I proceeded to remove this vm using 'qvm-
remove' and ever since all qubes functionality does not come up at
reboot. Investigating the output of 'systemctl status qubesd' et al,
became aware of an error thrown that reports 'sys-whonix-gw' as
missing
... apparently there are remnants of that vm left in the system
despite
me calling 'qvm-remove'.

Short of a reinstall, is there anything I can do to rescue this
situation?

Thanks for any pointers.

Sincerely, Joh
Any hit at all?

Joh

Hi Joh,

I found quite a few bits and pieces of VMs lying around when looking at how to recover VMs from my previous install. This might take a while, but you can run the following commands in a root terminal session on dom0:

# cd /

# grep -r <vmname> * 2>/dev/null

No guarantees, and be careful what you remove/edit, but it's worth a shot.

Ron