On 10/07/2017 09:42 AM, Frasse F wrote:
I would like some purchasing advice: I'm looking for a laptop that is
reasonably secure and also has a built in touch screen. I would prefer if it
had 16 GB of ram as I want to run Qubes OS and I want to sometimes be able to
run a Windows App-VM for dictation and speech recognition which is processed
locally (I do a lot of writing and I also care about security/privacy).

My second alternative is to buy a non purism laptop which has both a
touchscreen, enough RAM and is fairly secure. So my second alternative that I'm
considering would be the Lenovo 520 Yoga.
https://www.dustin.se/product/5011033265/yoga-520-touch . The model is running
the Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor. According to the specification page on
Intels website, this processor does not have the vPro technology.
https://ark.intel.com/products/95443/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

These are my questions

1) Is there anything except for the AMT/vPro aspect of the hardware security
that I might have overlooked that is critical when evaluating the Lenovo Yogas
safety?

2) Should one in general be sceptic towards Lenovo even when they are using
hardware from other manufacturers?
Personally, I avoid Lenovo like the plague since they became Chinese-owned. Yes, I know pretty much all the hardware is manufactured in China now anyway, but having the senior company management controlled by the Chinese government adds a whole 'nother layer of vulnerabilities.

My suspicions were confirmed when they were caught pre-installing spyware on them. Of course, that was only Windows, and they were forced to remove it, and claimed it was only intended for Chinese customers. But to me it shows their intent, and there are many other ways they can embed spyware (BIOS/UFI, other firmware) that would affect Linux too, and wouldn't be so easily removed.

Call me paranoid (because I am), but that's my opinion.

I typically go with Dell, although their quality has gone down in recent years, and I can't comment on Qubes-specific issues, or your particular requirements.

3) are there a Qubes user out there who are already using a laptop with touch
screen and enough ram, running Qubes? What laptop model are you using and would
you recommend it?

Ron