On 10/07/2017 01:10 PM, frassefredk...@gmail.com wrote:
Thank you for your response and for sharing your thoughts and experince from
using Lenovo Thinkpads! I looked at the Hardware Compatibility List and looked
at Thinkpads, most of the models did not seem to be for sale anymore.

Honestly I haven't seen any user using touchscreen with Qubes.
Just out of interest what is the use case for touch?
Regarding recommendation:
You haven't said which display size you need.
'
The use case of touch is mainly for ergonomical reasons. I read and write alot
and it is better for my arms to scroll down the documents and highlight things
using the touch instead of the keyboard and mouse. This is so important for me
that I would pay more for a touchscrren even. But if I would be able to take
notes on a Yoga from a conference, using the touch screen, then that would not
a be a bad thing either, but I dont expect that to work well wth Qubes.

Desired size of the screen is 14-16 inches.

I Should be been more clear about my question regarding the security of the
Lenovo and if they can be trusted. I have read articles accusing Lenovo of
planting backdoors in its hardware. My technical skills are currently on a
hobbyists level so I'm not always sure what to trust and not, wanted some input
from others regarding this. But then I have also read this article (cited
below)  that sort of says that the likelyhood of there being a backdoor planted
by Lenovo is low. I just dont know what to believe in. Do you have any comments
to this? :)

"Lenovo hardware is reportedly banned from the US CIA, as well as the UK's MI5
and MI6, as well as the Australian Security Intelligence Organization (ASIO) and
Secret Intelligence Service (ASIS). As of the time of writing, no evidence of any
wrongdoing on the part of Lenovo has been presented by any of governments who have
banned their hardware from use in intelligence services.

On devices as open as computers, and especially with Lenovo's ThinkPad product line,
which has been long venerated for being foremost among laptops designed with
modularity in mind—featuring detailed disassembly manuals and readily available
replacement parts—it is difficult to imagine that many opportunities exist to hide a
hardware backdoor in a relatively open product. Combined with the fact that the
vital components (processor, RAM, etc.) aren't made by Lenovo, there are few
opportunities for Lenovo to introduce a hardware-level backdoor in a way that
wouldn't be glaringly obvious to any engineer armed with a screwdriver."
Source:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/corporate-espionage-or-fearmongering-the-facts-about-hardware-level-backdoors/

"...glaringly obvious to any engineer armed with a screwdriver." That's the most unbelievably naive view of security I can remember reading. I bet the author's password is "pa33w0rd", and it's secure because no one would guess some letters were switched with numbers.

https://thehackernews.com/2015/09/lenovo-laptop-virus.html

Note: (1) confirmed, (2) 3 times, (3) one of them was BIOS-embedded.

https://thehackernews.com/2015/08/lenovo-rootkit-malware.html

Ron