No one?
I still haven't figured this one out

in case the private/paste bin was causing no responses here is the output from VLC:
from the vlc window:
"Audio output failed:
The audio device "default" could not be used:
No such file or directory."

and from the term that I started vlc from:
VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella (revision 2.2.6-0-g1aae78981c)
[00005e890a526938] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused [00005e890a4410e8] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
ALSA lib confmisc.c:767:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1246:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib conf.c:5007:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
[00005e890a526938] alsa audio output error: cannot open ALSA device "default": No such file or directory
[00005e890a526938] core audio output error: module not functional
[000076de94d7eaa8] core decoder error: failed to create audio output
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory [000076de74001268] xcb_xv vout display error: no available XVideo adaptor

anyone?