On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 9:12:47 PM UTC, Stumpy wrote:
> For some reason the audio in all my Debian VMs has stopped working?
> AFAIK I haven't done anything other than regular updates. I didn't
> notice until recently so I am not sure about exactly when it started.
>
> In the audio mixer window none of the debian vms are showing up. I tried
> plaing something in VLC and it gave the follwoing errors:
>
> https://privatebin.net/?f36509f33694a053#821JIyu4z/YqpQ61qGRYFP9Bspo7DAP8HmkPJCAk9Q8=
>
> Also,  another strange, maybe unrelated thing happened, I don' thave
> nautilus in my debian VMs any more and I tried to reinstall then but
> error saying I had some missing dependencies?

You could try make a copy of the debian template, then re-install the copy
completely with this Qubes guide
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/reinstall-template/

The command is quick to execute, just do something else while it works in the
background. Once it is complete, then, see if the sound issue is fixed in the
new debian template.

- If it is not fixed, then you will know the issue is in Dom0, and you narrowed
it down to a Dom0 issue, which then likely might be something like the VNC
server, or whichever packages is dependent on the sound sharing between VM's in
dom0.
- If it is fixed, then the issue was likely in debian template itself, and you
have no more worries. Just install all your applications in your new debian
template, and change all your AppVm's to it.