On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 7:46:41 PM UTC+1, Graham wrote:
> Hi
> I've not tried 4.0 yet, but I have been running 3.2 for a few weeks on my
> main production laptop, a thinkpad t440p. And qubes has been working better
> than I expected, but its a big learning curve going from windows to qubes,
> with only basic linux skills.
>
> I'm going to try 4.0 on a separate ssd, once I obtain one. But at the moment
> I'm still playing around with 3.2.
>
> During installation I selected luks encryption, which works fine. But my ssd
> is encrypted using the bios, so perhaps not using luks would give me better
> battery life, and cpu performance?
>
> I did have trouble shutting qubes down. And, I found the best practice was to
> shutdown all vms and system vms, first. That way I'm guaranteed a quick and
> easy shutdown, without any issues.
>
> The power manager on the taskbar occasionally crashes when being used, and I
> have to go to 'system tools' and restart it.
>
> I upgraded debian-8 to debian-9, and deleted the dedian-8 template from qubes
> manager but 'template: debian-8' still remains in the dom0 app menu. I've
> tried various cli commands to remove it but nothing works.
>
> I'm confused how to install unsigned packages, and what the best practice is.
>
> Should I install the package inside a new and clean templatevm, then create
> an appvm from that template? Or create a standalonevm from a clean template
> and install package inside the appvm?
>
> Also, the qubes instructions says fedora minimal uses 300mb disk space, but
> mine is currently using 1500mb. Which seems like a lot.
>
> I've probably got more questions and issues. But so far Qubes is a great!

r3.2 has a few issues with shortcut removal; if you're bored, you can remove
the entries manually from submenus in (iirc) .local, .gnome and shared.
Otherwise, just ignore them, and go by what the qubes-manager (or qvm-ls) tells
you is installed. :)

As to templates, it doesn't matter so long as you are working with AppVMs
(Standalone is a different story, for obvious reasons). Just reboot the appvm
after shutting down the template, and you're good to go.

1200mb for fedora-minimal is about as low as it goes, you can run
qvm-trim-template every once in a while to shrink the image.