On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 4:03:44 PM UTC-6, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 11/19/2017 01:48 PM, v wrote:
> > I have been using Qubes 3.2 for about 5 months and love it...thank you all
> > who have contributed!
> >
> > I am a noobie so be gentle...I am also by no means an expert at Linux
> > however I have been forced to learn quick.
> >
> > I managed to upgrade my Fedora template to 25 and have most of my VMs
> > running on Fedora25 except for the default Debian8(Which I have reinstalled
> > since my initial Qubes installation), my Whonix WS and GW are also
> > defaults. I have also periodically upgraded these templates.
> >
> > I have some basic questions I am hoping I can get some help with:
> >
> > 1) It seems that alot of the experts use Debian as thier working
> > VMs(Personal, Work, Banking, etc...) and have Fedora as the sys-firewall,
> > sys-net, etc...is it more secure to use Debian in this way? Am I just as
> > secure as using Fedora for my working VMs? I would have to think hacking
> > Xen, then Fedora, then Debian would be harder...
>
> There are three issues that stand out for me:
>
> * Fedora is the only distro I've seen that doesn't sign their repository
> manifest. The idea is if you want full security for updates you pay $$$
> for RHEL (Red Hat controls the Fedora project).
>
> * Fedora releases expire (stop getting security updates) after a
> relatively short period (again, idea is pay $$$ to Red Hat for long-term
> updates).
>
> * Fedora repositories are pretty sparse compared to the software
> available in Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> These are the main reasons I choose to use Debian over Fedora. Debian
> templates also work great for sys-net and firewall/VPN.
>

> > 2) I have been able to copy/move files from Fedora VMs to other Fedora VMs
> > but I have struggled to try and copy/move files from Debian(or Whonix-ws)
> > to Fedora? Fedora has the "File" option from my "Q" menu(top right), when I
> > am in the files I can right click and "Copy to Other AppVM" or "Open in
> > DispVM". How do I access Debians version?
>
> The debian-8 template is close to a 'minimal' release and comes without
> a file browser. You can copy from the terminal with the 'qvm-copy-to-vm'
> command, or install a supported file browser (the one used in Fedora
> template is nautilus).
>
> When installing nautilus, remember that its meant to work in concert
> with the rest of Gnome... it may not work right if you install it by
> specifying 'nautilus' (also you will have to install the python-gtk2
> package separately). The easiest way to get this working like it does in
> Fedora is to run 'sudo tasksel' and select the Gnome desktop for
> installation.
>
> --
>
> Chris Laprise,
> https://github.com/tasket
> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

Thank you Chris...instead of asking a myriad of follow up questions, do you or
anybody else have some good resources for detailed "how tos" on how to
configure the Debian Template for the laymans use?

I managed to get LibreOffice loaded but my wish list would be an up-to-date
Firefox, Nautilus(file manager) and what ever is required to get my wireless
working with sys-net?

I tried changing sys-net to Debian and my wireless wouldn't turn on(Couldn't
find the option in my network icon in the top right of my screen).

I would be happy to post these instructions back and submit them to the Qubes
community if that is of value.

Thank you again...

I tried