Yuraeitha:
> On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 9:01:24 AM UTC, Bernhard wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> one of the most useful features of tor-browser is Ctl-Shift-L to change
>> the tor-path (and so, with high proba, the exit node IP) : this way,
>> websites that block a specific exit node for a certain time can be still
>> loaded (of course some fascist websites block all tor-exits and so that
>> this measure does not help) .
>>
>> I feel that the same feature would be useful in other applications (in
>> particular in thunderbird). How can this be done? Maybe a "forced
>> reconnect" of IMAP connections suffices, but apart totally restarting
>> thunderbird I don't see how this can be done. Any hints? Or is there
>> good reason not to torify mail-fetching? Or never via IMAP?
>>
>> thank you, Bernhard

Each request to your Tor client (in sys-whonix) via SocksPort is accompanied by
a SOCKS username and password. By clicking "New Tor Circuit for this Site" in
Tor Browser, you are changing the password component, which causes the Tor
client to generate a new circuit for the same first-person domain when a
request is received.

Thunderbird is torrified by an extension called TorBirdy. Your requested
feature has been tracked for quite some time (5 years) but appears nearing
implementation now that Thunderbird-related roadblocks have been cleared.
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6359) Also, the main reason
for that ticket is not circuit swapping but stream isolation. At present
(Whonix bonus), each different email server you connect to is given a different
circuit. With #6359, multiple accounts at the same email provider can also be
isolated by circuit.

Currently, you can generate new circuits for all future Tor requests by using
the "New Identity" feature via one of the following equivalent options:
1. From anon-whonix, use "New Identity" in Tor Browser. (applies to all Tor
connections, not just the browser.)
2. From sys-whonix, use arm/nyx (monitoring tool) to send New Identity request
3. From sys-whonix, send SIGNAL NEWNYM via telnet to 127.0.0.1:9051

> More specially towards the question at hand, I think it's tricky to do
> something like that in Thunderbird, but I'm not a programmer, so I wouldn't
> know for sure. However, if you think about how it works in Qubes/Whonix/Tor,
> then the Tor browser appears to be tunneling Tor-Browser within
> Tor(Sys-whonix), basically doubling the onion layers compared to a regular
> Tor browser. I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, it's just something I
> figured must be the case.

This is not correct. Tor-over-Tor is discouraged[1] and unlikely to work in the
future[2]. Whonix prevents Tor-over-Tor.[3][4]

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO#ToroverTor
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2667
[3] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/DoNot#Prevent_Tor_over_Tor_Scenarios
[4] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor