On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 3:15:06 PM UTC, Ray Joseph wrote:
> Yuraeitha,
>

> Thank you.  That was great detail.
>

> I think I will redirect output to one continuos file to collect all VM info
> and use that file to record my progress.
>

> My biggest obstacle is that when the machine boots up, I do not always get a
> keyboard (laptop).  Plugging in a USB keyboard and mouse does not always work
>
> Maybe this is related to the VMs.  My fist install of V4 was with a docking
> station attached.  Keyboard and mouse functionality was intermittent but if
> the embedded set did not work, I could plug kbd into the laptop USB slots or
> docking station.  To fix this, I reinstalled V4 without the docking station.
> The kbd is less predictable/controllable.
>

> In both cases, I have found that repeated reboots sometimes production es a
> functioning keyboard.  I have also found that letting the laptop sit for a
> while will sometimes provide the keyboard.  This latter feature is what leads
> me to consider that service VMs may be at play.
>

> I have "newly" loaded the latest two versions of Debian over 30 times and 3
> installs of Qubes-os.  I am open to experimenting.  My challenge with Debian
> was getting wireless to work with Xen bridging.
>

> On Nov 24, 2017 4:02 AM, "Yuraeitha" <yura...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 2:01:18 AM UTC, Ray Joseph wrote:
>
> > Yuraeitha,
>

> > Thank you.  All of that was news.  The need to run all VMs as HVM is the
> > only one that seems to be a concern.  When I get wifi working, I never lose
> > it.
>
> >     This was a fresh install and I am testing with this machine.
>

> > I haven't been able to find how to convert existing VMs to HVM.  Please
> > suggest where I might find this.  I've been going through docs and have not
> > found it.
>

> > Ray
>

> Good to hear you got stable WiFi :)
>

> Almost all (if not all) the docs are currently out-of-date when it comes to
> Qubes 4, but up-to-date when it comes to Qubes 3.2.
>

> This is why there is currently no doc for changing PV to HVM, or vice versa.
> HVM is prefered for security in Qubes 4, however both modes can give
> different hardware trouble. For example I personally get issues running PV,
> despite having PV working flawlessly back in Qubes 3.2. Others from what I
> can read might have issues with HVM, and need to fall back to PV instead.
>

> That's why you can switch to whichever mode is preferred. But in terms of
> security HVM is better than PV. However HVM is not perfect either, but
> nontheless an improvement over PV. From what I've seen the developers
> discuss, it seems like the plan is to move towards PVH in a future Qubes
> release. This is in turn an improvement over HVM. So PV < HVM < PVH. So you
> want HVM for now, but can change to PVH in a future Qubes release, probably
> with the same command by then.
>

> Unfortunately there is no easy way to print out which VM is in PV or HVM. At
> [...]

oh, that's a pretty cool idea to collect it all in such a method. If it works
well, consider sharing with the community if you feel like it :) You can also
publicize a guide page to the QUbes docs on github on how to do this, I'm sure
there must be other Qubes 4 users who'd appreciate it.

As for your keyboard problem, I might know the reason, though I'm not entirely
sure, but I highly suspect it's something to do with bugs in the current
booting process that affects seemingly all current Qubes 4 systems that are
updated. Everyone have them atm it seems like, however not everyone use USB
keyboards in a USB qube.

Whether everyone has it is a bit of a anecdotal guesswork based on how the bug
behaves, though it does seem like being an universal issue. At the very least I
have it too, but unlike you I don't use a usb qube for my keyboard/mouse.

It's pretty random for me as well, when I look in my "sudo journalctl --boot",
sometimes my Qubes 4 even starts up with only the sys-firewall and the sys-net
never started up. But on other boots, they're both there and works as they are
supposed to. These very same VM's also gets messed up after suspend/hibernate,
though that's less of a concern and just more annoying than a big problem.

Possibly we need some updates from the developers to ensure that the
sys-firewall can't start without sys-net, and I suspect, sys-usb is having the
exact same problem here.

Is your USB qube in a VM without networking? Maybe it can work better this way,
so it's not relying on sys-net/sys-firewall which seem to be at random booting
in wrong order or not at all.

I don't have much experience with the USB qube since I'm forced to not use it
on my current primary Qubes system, because my touchscreen is tied to the USB
controller. If I remove it, my screen will freeze. So I can't be entirely sure
where the Qubes qube is supposed to be located, it's tied somewhere between
sys-net/sys-firewall, or after sys-firewall?

What I imagine might help is a USB qube without networking though, since then
at least the "order" VM's are started won't matter anymore, as long as it
starts up.