On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 19:28:54 CET Unman wrote:
> > the main reason the old one is removed seems to be that it
> > would have had to be reimplemented due to the architecture changes in
> > 4.0

> Tom, this is simply not true.
> If you look at issue #2132

That issue actually supports the point, to quote.
> the next-gen manager for Qubes 4.0 (which we need to rewrite anyway
> because of the changes in the core-ng)

But your reply is unnecessarily confrontational, it really doesn't matter
what the core devs decide on the GUI front as they also state they have an
open API.

As it turns out people are interested in a different GUI experience than the
one outlined in the quoted issue.

It is good to realize that a better GUI will allow a more secure usage.

> > * Media-management. Hard drives etc. It just barely works today.
>
> Not my experience. There are occasional issues, but generally this seems
> to work well

If you use a larger amount of features, stuff starts to fall apart fast,
though.
For instance I added a second drive, attached it to a VM. Noticed that the
only thing that happened was the appearance of a strangely named file in
/dev/
As far as I can tell you need to somehow guess which file to use in /dev and
then type a 'mount' command to actually access it. That requires CLI
interaction...

And thats just the most simple usecase I can come up with.

> BUT basic users generally want little more than to load
> data from USBs/phones and to backup to disk

How do you rate usecases like having your homedir (private partition) on a
second drive on a desktop computer?
Extremely common setup on desktops when you end up having many gigabytes
in your homedir. A multi-TB spinning disk costs a fraction of an ssd.

How about the usecase of auto-attaching and auto-mounting several drives on
a specific VM startup, every time it starts.
For instance a read-only (aka CDRom or Loopback) mountpoint in your homedir
of firefox settings shared between some of the VMs.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io