On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 16:08:28 CET Unman wrote:
> "useful, but wasnt any good" - do you mean buggy or poorly designed?
> What 2 features should be implemented/fixed?
>
> I confess I rarely use the Manager, so don't have a feel for what's wrong
> with it.

To be clear, the main reason the old one is removed seems to be that it
would have had to be reimplemented due to the architecture changes in 4.0

This is relevant to know because that means nobody actively thought
"It is not good enough, lets remove it".
The removal then, in my own opinion, means we have an opportunity to do
better.

To support the point of view of "useful but wasn't any good", let me explain
what I think such a tool should behave like.

The first issue with the old tool, and also with some of the new tools, are
that you already have to know how things work in order to be able to use it.
For instance the terminology 'appvm', 'templatevm' etc are completely not
explained anywhere. You have to go to a website to learn what the mean.

A clear success story of Qubes is its networking, abstracting the netVm is
done to add security without having any significant impact on usability.
Practically speaking, normal users can ignore the whole networking setup as
it "just works".

This is the level of support that we want. And most tools are nowhere near
that just yet.

Some examples of things that in 3.2 as well as in 4.0 are clearly in need of
a lot of love are;

* Which VMs are in which state. If you start something and the netvm/
firewall VM are auto-started, this is not at all clear to the user. If
something fails, it gets even worse.

* Network communication between Qubes. Routing via the firewallVM.

* Port forwarding. FirewallVM again.

* Media-management. Hard drives etc. It just barely works today.

* Graphical configuration of multiple qubes. Even in 3.2 not being able to
open more than one config dialog at a time was silly.

This is just a short list based on my experiments over the last month or so.
I'm sure others can add wishlist items.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io