I’ll disagree with comparison of btrfs to lvm. there is a very significant
difference between btrfs and lvm. btrfs is like a namespace and lvm volumes are
block devices. one can put a namespace on a block device. but yes, layers and
layers of metadata processing required.

BTW, has anyone started a btrfs driver for storage pools? I think it could very
tricky if at all possible.