On 2017-12-23 11:11, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 2017-12-22 21:30, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:
>> On 2017-12-22 09:50, awokd wrote:

>>> If you have room for it, back up everything! You can restore
>>> selectively later.
>>
>> thanks for the two replies, *However, neither gets to the gist of
>> my inquiry. Namely, which VMs am I supposed to be backing up,
>
> You should back up every VM that contains data that you don't want to
> lose and can't replace. For most people, this means backing up every
> VM that contains things like documents, emails, photos, and videos. If
> you're short on space, it's not necessary to make backups of things
> that you know you'll be able to download easily again later (e.g., an
> unmodified TemplateVM).
>
>> Dom0 (which for some reason is over *500GB!)  , hence  I can't
>> backup "everything" even with a 2GB internal HD that I'm trying to
>>  use
>>

> For most users, the main reason to back up dom0 is because that's
> where your dom0 user settings are stored. Normally, dom0 should not be
> that large, since you're only backing up the home directory. (You're
> using qvm-backup, right?) It sounds like you didn't expect it to be
> that large, so if there's not enough data in your home directory to
> account for it, check /var/tmp to see if you have a lot of partial
> restores taking up space.
>
>> I was thinking of skipping the 1 large offline AppVM where I keep
>> old photos, and did, so why did  the Templates and Dom0  come out
>> to such a *Huge filesize,   what would be typical ???
>>
>>> From what your saying can I skip the Debian 8 Template, I have 2
>>>  AppVMs
>> and the Whonix stuff based on it I guess
>>

> - --
> Andrew David Wong (Axon)

What is the default backup location from the GUI VM Manager : I'm
wondering now where I backed up my 300GB VM with old photos back in May
2017 ....maybe that has something to do with the size problem I'm
encountering ...... I probably wanna know where is it anyway. I don't
think I thought to change it from the default setting, as I was new, and
still am to what behaviour to expect from Qubes systems ...and just let
it back up where-ever the default would be.

PS: keeping in mind, my perhaps, *only reason to be attempting a backup
would be to migrate it to 4.0  , so I  *still want to back up Templates
and Dom0??  Most of my AppVMs are just for browsing the web and the 15
different times, I've reset up  firefox with perhaps a few downloads
..... considering that would there be some reason to backup AppVMs .....

Maybe the only VM that matters *is the 300GB AppVM with photos in it ,
that stays offline ?

re: /var/tmp  is  dom0  I am unable  to  cut and paste  from  dom0  what
I see is
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root  952848292  780151168(used)
123272164(available) 87%   /
and
various others smaller directories   ; I don't know what a "partial
restore" would look like ; I never touch dom0         :0

--
cc: the user group