On 01/06/2018 05:02 PM, Sir Hugo Drax wrote:

Hi Taiidan,

That's a pretty sweet setup you have from a privacy standpoint. I wish I
could put one together for myself right now. But alas things are
unfortunately not in a way I can do that. The parts I listed are for a
project that pays the bills and that has to take priority for now.
Always man, that project may not be cool with the lower opteron per core speed. If you don't mind I am curious what you are doing! (feel free to reply off list)
  Using the system for Qubes is an after thought for when the parts would be
retired from active use. However I do have a question concerning the
the motherboard you recommended.
In case you are curious about the performance differential.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+Silver+4114+%40+2.20GHz&id=3095
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Opteron+6386+SE&id=2294

Does the KGPE-D16 or KCMA-D8 support an Nvme PCI-E  SSD like an Intel
750 Series PCIe 400GB?
Yeah there are a few on the coreboot mailinglist who use those and they are satisfied, the D16 has more PCI-e bandwidth to go around so I would get that if you want more high bandwidth PCI-e cards. The OEM board firmware doesn't support booting but some coreboot payloads do.
I ask this since both boards have Gen2 PCI-E
slots and I don't know if those slots shall be a bottleneck if I desired
building a separate system some day around one of these boards.
The slots are all directly connected to the northbridge so none are over-subscribed

The main SSD wow-factor areas are write-speed and I/O both of which won't be impacted by 2.0 so I highly doubt you would notice in anything but a fringe use case - having a drive that is x8 or x16 also helps as you would have more lanes and thus more bandwidth of v2.0.
Given
the philosophy behind Qubes, I'm really tempted to seriously look into
such a build and how it woul fit together. What graphic card would you
recommend for the above boards?
As always I recommend AMD graphics as nvidia isn't friendly to linux or virtualization, other then that I don't keep up with the marketing - of course you will want something new with plenty of VRAM if you want to play new video games, you can also get two graphics cards if you want to have dual gaming VM's as the board comes with dual USB controllers out of the box if you use a breakout cable.