On Thu, January 11, 2018 7:37 pm, Pawel G wrote:

> I upgraded dom0 (following "Installing and using Windows-based AppVMs"
> doc):
>

> sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing
> qubes-windows-tools
>
> and not long after that I upgraded all my VMs from f-24 to f-25.

OK, that's different, that should be fine. dom0 is still on f-24 then,
just your VMs are upgraded.

> I use my laptop for a few weeks puting it into hibernation mode. After
> restart - you know the story. I haven't found anything in bash_history
> what would damage qubes, aside from those updates.

I don't know what could have broken your QubesDB then, unless maybe you
ran just "sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing"
at some point? That would have upgraded Xen and everything except the VMs
to the testing repo, which is not always stable.

> Is it possible to reinstall base system and have my VMs and data not
> earased (like from ISO installer)?

If you back up the VMs first, you can reinstall then restore the VMs. In
3.2, go to Qubes VM Manager, then System menu, and choose Backup. Best if
you can do this to an external drive so the backups don't get wiped by
mistake on the install!