Hello Yuraeitha,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
An 28. Feb. 2018, 21:39, Yuraeitha schrieb:

> It seems from time to time that various
> people have shared a good unofficial script,
> guides and 'how to's', and even code, for
> Qubes related content, on their github page or
> similar. The problem however is that while
> shared, it isn't very visible, and even if they are
> from time to time mentioned in a mail thread,
> it quickly gets buried under many new mails.

I have recognized the same and was wondering already what could be the reason
that people have written own small projects which I only knew of because
following this mailing list.
Honestly I started the same, after coming up with the first draft of ma
qvm-screenshot-to-clipboard script.

The main reason why I didn't upload it (yet) to Qubes docs:

1) it is on a very early stage and while it is working I would feel a bit
ashamed, as there is no error handling etc.

2) I am unsure if the script is not only working but also "reasonable secure"
to use

3) I like the quality of the existing Qubes documentation, but it takes some
time for a newbie user not only to write a good how-to but also include all the
valuable feedback or keep the discussion ongoing.

Maybe those are the reasons why others like to keep developing their stuff
outside of the Qubes doc repository. Summarized:

1. Scripts are not yet ready/to basic
2. Unknown impact on security
3. Not enough time to craft a quality "product"

> To solve an issue like this, it'd be helpful to
> have a place where we can keep track of
> everyone's projects which are shared for
> others to use. It may also be worth discussing
> on quality and security, and how we "censor"?
> bad scripts/guides/code.

Yes, please! His could also be a good ressource to browse looking to fine-tune
Qubes.

> It could be done in many various of different
> ways, which is also why I think it'd make
> sense to open a discussion on the matter, so
> we can find the most preferred method. First
> though, a location might be ideal starting
> place, where to keep everything updated?
> (...)
> A https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/ page listing
> all the unofficial projects. The most simple
> and easy way.

I like the idea having it available at GitHub as we can easily contribute to
the code and GitHub has all the features to keep discussion ongoing etc.
It is also allows to keep a copy of the latest version of the scripts and
people don't have to learn another tool when their code is ready to be released.

The bad thing:
If you're not a developer and have never worked with GitHub the learning curve
might be high.
At least I had to click some time arround to understand what is located where
and how it is working.

> Generally the main concern is the visibility of
> the effort that the community puts in Qubes,
> from the bottom-up, often goes to waste and
> few people see's it.

The other benefit is, that I learn a lot from reading other person's scripts
and of course following the discussion.

Maybe some of the ideas there could also be mentioned in a maybe monthly blog
post, so that new users can see that Qubes is a living project.

I would call this site/place where all the ideas are summarize "Qubes Garden"
or "Qubes Playground" :-)

[799]