On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 6:56:25 PM UTC+1, randal...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there so I was finally able to get qubes installed to test if it actually
> runs on my laptop (Razer stealth 2017) and there's some issue with the
> display resolution. My resolution is 3200 x 1800 and that's fine, but when I
> log into qubes everything looks extremely small and hard to read. I assume
> it's because of how high the resolution is. how can I get the desktop to
> display a bigger gui while keeping the resolution the same? I need baby
> tutorials as I'm new to qubes. Thanks in advance!

This solution below only partly solves your issue as a temporary solution until
you find a way to scale everything up (which is often a pain in other Linux's
as well these days, even MS-Windows are facing issues these days...).
You can merge the idea awokd linked, to put it into autostart.

Since Qubes/XFCE4 doesn't remember the resolution or other screen settings, you
can use the below to fix it yourself. In addition it also gives you greater
screen control beyond just "fixing it".

Below is the script I use my self when I connect my puny little tablet/laptop
to my 4k TV. It obviously hates running dual-screen 4k (poor little thing), so
I had to lower that resolution. I got two scripts, one for left and right too.
Which makes it easy for me to change which side of the TV I put my
tablet/laptop.

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 --right-of eDP1

For example if your screen is named ur-screens-name, and it's only one screen
you want to change settings for, then it should be something like this.

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output ur-screens-name --mode 1920x1080

Test if the command works first, in dom0 terminal.
You can find your screen name by writing 'xrandr -q' in your dom0 terminal.
It'll list all screens currently connected, plus all their possible resolutions
and refresh rates, which is also information you will need (don't copy my
resolution, find one compatible in your list out-put here).

Now all you need to remember is to put the command in a script file, i.e. use
nano or another editor to create the script, and remember to allow script to
executable chmod +x /path/to/your-script.sh

Once it is tested working, now type 'xfce4-session-settings' and click on the
"Application Autostart" tab in the window that popups. Click add, and add your
script to autostart.

Now every time you boot up Qubes, dom0 will change your settings to the
specified ones you gave it in the command. Furthermore you can keybind it in a
similar way.

Type 'xfce4-keyboard-settings' in dom0, and click on the "Application
Shortcuts" tab in the window that popups. Now same as before, simply click add,
put path to your script, and add a keybind.

If you just need permanent changes, then the first is enough. If you need to
change it once in a while, i.e. switch between resolutions, or move second
screen to the left or right, change refresh rates, and things like that, then
turn the script into a keybind. You can have multiple of scripts like this.

It doesn't solve the primary issue, but it's also something I need to look into
my self when I find the time to play around with Linux/Qubes screen scaling. At
least this can work as a temporary solution though.