On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 11:03:02 PM UTC+1, ale10...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I am currently locked out of my qubes system because of a "kernel
> panic" error I encounter when I boot the system, after the grub screen. I
> don't really know what to do.
> The only thing I did before this to happen is to try to install AEM (without
> success), it may be the reason for this.
> Is there any fix to this? I still have my qubes installation media, I can run
> the troubleshooting mode. I have qubes R4-rc4.
> I am also searching for the place to search for my appvms data so I can
> backup them and then re-install qubes (I use qubes for some months now), I
> can't find the appvm data anywhere... thanks for your answers !

it seems google is having fun with me and auto-deletes messages as I reply...
given the number of deleted messages we're seeing lately, maybe I'm not the
only one having this google issue...

well, I'll try again. Try look here for your AppVM's
/var/lib/qubes/appvms

and here for your templates
/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates

and in general /var/lib/qubes/ for anything VM related.

I'm not sure if you can restore it all this way, I haven't done this before my
self. It might be a good idea to wait for confirmation from someone who's done
it before, or wait and don't delete/overwrite anything before you got
confirmation on this method.

However, I believe the approach is to copy this folder /var/lib/qubes and then
create identical named VM's, shut them down, and then systematically and
manually replace the VM's data. Be mindful that this "might" be a bad idea to
do for templates, it's probably best you only do it with AppVM's.

Also there may still be a way to save your system rather than salvaging, for
example did you try load the other 2 kernels? (normal 3 kernels are kept at any
time and Grub should be able to switch between them).