On Sat, May 12, 2018 10:09 am, mk2mix via qubes-users wrote:
> Hello everyone
> I am a beginner (start watching linux only a few months ago, so really
> beginner :)
> I do not understand why so many IP come out after a clean installation
> without browser ...
> of course there are IPs for NTP, but not only ...
> my question, how to stop all IP coming out?
> I try with the hosts file, or iptables, it fades at each restart.
> I wish to have total control of the machine (everyone must want the same
> thing here I think), and after a 2 weeks, I have never arrived ...
> I even thought about trying to put pfsense on it, but being a beginner and
> having read what I read, it's way above my possibilities.
> if any one to solutions to stop all these outgoing IP and to easily edit
> iptables and hosts files (in VMs and even in dom0)?
> I am on the R3,2

You are probably seeing Qubes checking for OS updates, and GNOME itself in
each AppVM can be pretty chatty. Dom0 does not have any network
connection, so nothing you change there will affect the traffic. Try this
for every AppVM you are using:

- go to VM settings, Basic tab, set Networking to (none) if that AppVM
does not need it
- for ones that need networking, go to VM settings, Firewall tab and
create rules there to restrict traffic
- change to the fedora-minimal template for your sys-* VMs

You will still see traffic for OS update checks and NTP, but the rest
should be minimized.