On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 12:11:50 AM UTC-4, john wrote:
> On 05/12/18 19:46, Qubes Guy wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 4:28:56 AM UTC-4,
> > niepo...-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org wrote:

> >> Yes, problem still exist.
> >>
> >> There was sys-firewall connected to appVM as well sys-net and no
> >> connection.
> >> I have also tried changing template from fedora to debian -internet not
> >> working.
> >> I have also install chromium browser and connection not working.
> >>
> >> Very frustrating situation...
> >
> > One thing I forgot to mention: Do NOT set the "Networking" setting in your
> > template VMs (set it to "None"). Giving network access to your templates is
> > considered a major security threat (since all AppVMs you base on them
> > inherit any malware/corruption). If you put "qubes-updates-proxy" in the
> > services tab of sys-net, you won't need to do this. If you absolutely need
> > to do this anyway, turn it off as soon as possible...
> >

> When I look at the qubes settings -> services in  sys-net  I see nothing
> , would adding qubes-updates-proxy   allow me to install  manually
> software I want to be AppVM-wide , in the Fedora Template?
>
> or exactly how is one Supposed to ever add software to a Template if
> there is no networking  except for updates ?
>
> Or lets say I add the  qubes-updates-proxy  to sys-net , then in the
> Template  can I just  sudo dnf install  <package>  or there more to it ?

I couldn't get any template VMs to update (or be able to install software in
them) until I put qubes-updates-proxy in sys-net. Apparently, that's how
template VMs gain network access securely. The documentation implies says that
this is already enabled by default (meaning I shouldn't have had to add it
myself), but that wasn't the case, at least for me. The minute I put it in, the
floodgates opened and I've been able to use Qubes ever since. The only downside
to this is that this doesn't work for Firefox unless you install it through the
standard repository. I couldn't get Quantum that way, so I had to manually
install it in the template. And every time Firefox auto-updates itself, it's in
the AppVM and the update disappears every time I restart the AppVM. So I'm
currently enabling network access in the template VM only long enough to allow
Firefox to update itself. I shouldn't, but I am. I understand that Mozilla is
now calling Quantum "Firefox ESR" now (Extended Support Release). ESR version
52 was the only version in the Debian repository at the time, so I didn't want
it. But if the Debian folks put Quantum in the repository, I'll switch over. If
you can get Quantum from Fedora's repository (or however), then just ignore all
that :)