On Sat, Aug 04, 2018 at 08:22:23AM -1000, John S.Recdep wrote:
> On 08/04/2018 06:11 AM,
> tirejeremy-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org wrote:
> > Can you help please to understand how it works more deeper
> >
> > Why all random pic (jpeg,png, bmp etc) marked as untrusted. Are they not
> > passing the tests on dispvms?
> >
> > *.jpg-untrusted - Does it usable or not?
> >
> > if I have many different virtual machines (dispvms based on different
> > templates, which one do the tests start and do they run at all? how to
> > check it? very grateful.
> >
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2437
> > https://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2013/02/converting-untrusted-pdfs-into-trusted.html
> >

> I am guessing "untrusted" is just the Name of your  AppVM (qube),  there
> is no tests .
>
> There is the ability to "create trusted pdfs" via an Disp Qube which
> transforms the pdf format to all pixels  then it puts a larger copy back
> in your original App Qube  and changes the name to  "foo-trusted.pdf"
> but its no longer a pdf per se
>
> I hope that helps ?

This isn't quite right.

"-untrusted" is the original file renamed. The "trusted" version has the
same name as the original, or the name you gave it.
The test , if any, is that you chose to convert the image, so must have
considered the source to be questionable in some way.

The conversion is done in a disposableVM for the qube in which you are running
the conversion.

When you convert a PDF it produces a fully formed error free PDF.
Because it is image based it is not text searchable, which may be why John
says it isn't a "PDF per se", but a PDF it is.

To some extent the ability to open files in dispVMs makes these
utilities less important. It is possible, for example, to store such files in
minimal
templates with no viewers and always open them in offline dispVMs.