On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 3:21:27 PM UTC-4, Marcus Linsner wrote:
> The good news is that I've realized that the OOM triggering was legit: I had
> firefox set to use 12 cores at once and 14GiB of RAM was clearly not enough!
> (8 and no ccache was good though - did compile it twice like so)
>
> The bad news is that I still don't know why the disk-read thrashing was
> happening for me, but I will default to blame the OOM (even though no swap
> was active, ie. I swapoff-ed the swap partition earlier) due to previous
> experience with OOM triggering on bare-metal hardware: I seem to remember SSD
> disk activity led being full-on during an impending OOM and everything
> freezing!

Maybe this applies:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/432809/why-is-kswapd0-running-on-a-computer-with-no-swap

[[if kswapd0 is taking any CPU and you do not have swap, the system is nearly
out of RAM and is trying to deal with the situation by (in practise) swapping
pages from executables. The correct fix is to reduce workload, add swap or
(preferably) install more RAM. Adding swap will improve performance because
kernel will have more options about what to swap to disk. Without swap the
kernel is practically forced to swap application code.]]

This could be a reason you only see reads hammering the drive, maybe?

Also worth remembering: every read is decrypting block(s) which takes some CPU
(even on systems with AES-NI support).

Brendan