I tried Qubes once before but gave up because the hardware I had wasn't
compatible.  I'm now giving Qubes another try w/ a new machine and had a couple
questions.  Keep in mind I'm a newbie.

One question I had is whether there is any way to set an unencrypted (or
encrypted?) external HD as the /home folder for a VM?

This would make it much more convenient for me to move my work between Qubes
and a non-Qubes desktop.  I realize this is a security hole, but the
alternative of simply sticking with Ubuntu is even less secure.

Guy