On Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 03:03:25PM -0700, Guy Frank wrote:
> On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 6:31:58 PM UTC-4, Chris Laprise wrote:
> > On 08/31/2018 01:40 PM, Guy Frank wrote:

> > > Thanks Jackie for your reply!
> > >
> > > I remember it being fairly easy to attach USB devices w/ the right clicks
> > > here & there.  So, yes, I'd have access to the files on my external HD.
> > >
> > > But it would be more convenient if I could get Qubes to mount the home
> > > folder on the HD as the Home folder for the given virtual machine.  I
> > > imagine that's trickier and was wondering if there's a way to do it?
> > >
> > > Maybe use a script to mount the attached USB drive home (/home/guyuser)
> > > over the Qubes home directory?  But then, if that's possible, some of the
> > > setup in the Qubes home directory might get missed.
> > >

> > The key to using it as /home would be to setup a new storage pool to
> > hold that VM. Unfortunately the docs could use a rewrite:
> >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/storage-pools/
> >
> > The relevant commands are 'qvm-pool --add' and 'qvm-create --pool'.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
> > https://github.com/tasket
> > https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> > PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886
>
> Hi Chris:  Thanks! This looks like a step in the right direction, but I have
> some questions.  I'm guessing the commands will tell Qubes to treat my
> external HD as a potential place to store a VM.  But that seems like it
> wouldn't take the existing home directory on the external HD as the VM home
> directory but instead store a VM file containing the VM's home directory
> structure on the disk.  That file would, I imagine, be difficult to access on
> the Kubuntu I have running on my home desktop and wouldn't contain the files
> currently on my external hard disk, which mirror my Kubuntu files.
>
> Is that the case and is there any fix?  Am beginning to think the only way to
> work this is to simply attach my external HD as a USB device and give up on
> trying to make the files my home directory.
>
> Guy

If it were not USB it would be straightforward.

It occurs to me that you may be able to change the configuration, (see
boot, and have fstab configured to mount the newly exposed device in
the qube as /home or a directory in /home.

I haven't tried this but I'm assuming it would be possible, and would fit
your needs.
I'll have a quick poke at this in the morning, and see if there's any
mileage in the thought.