On Thu, September 6, 2018 8:19 pm, John S.Recdep wrote:
> On 09/06/2018 02:45 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
>
>> On Wed, September 5, 2018 12:21 am, John S.Recdep wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> while upgrading to sys-whonix-14 many weeks ago, I was fighting to
>>> maintain  my Fedora and Debian Template to keep using sys-net  not
>>> sys-whonix-14
>>>
>>> and sys-whonix-gw and -ws to use sys-whonix-14  , which are otherwise
>>>  working fine and I hesitate to mess with
>>> /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy
>>>

>>> However, once in a while I am concerned that sys-whonix-14 is
>>> starting when I am NOT updating anything  eg in  dom0  today :
>>>
>>> qvm-run -a fooappVM fooapplication   (for a fooappVM that wasn't
>>> open) and sys-whonix-14  was shutdown
>>>
>>> for some reason it started up
>>
>> This could happen if fooappVM's netvm is set to sys-whonix-14.
>>

>>> my  /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy ; looks like this :
>>
>>> $type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-whonix-14
>>>

>> This line, since it is first, means all templates will be updated
>> through sys-whonix-14. Maybe when you started fooapplication, Qubes
>> checked the related template for any updates?
>>

> Thanks for your reply, well I've checked only anon-whonix dispVM3400 and
> whonix-ws-dvm-14 are using  sys-whonix-14

OK.

> I'm pretty sure  fedora-28 and Debian-9  are updating over sys-net

They're not. :)

> $qubes-prefs
> updatevm  -  sys-net
>
> is the dom0 says

This only describes how dom0 will update.

> 3)hmm, oh so, dom0 when it starts checks templates for any new versions
> say of firefox, and that requires the template to start and use the
> designated netvm even if the templates are set to "none" .....
> .........maybe this only applies if the application is started from dom0
> via qvm-run  with  its associated appvm also closed  guess I needed to
> further test it ....

Close- when dom0 checks for template updates it needs to start the VM
specified for template updates, which in your case is sys-whonix-14.

> 4) if you are using sys-net for  Deb/Fedora  updates and sys-whonix-14
> for  -gw -ws  update   could you please  post your  /qubes.UpdatesProxy for
> me

I'm not, but to do so you would change the FIRST occurrence to read
"$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-net". The existing
"$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix-14" line means your
whonix related templates will continue to be updated through
sys-whonix-14.