On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 09:31:09AM -0700, John Maher wrote:
> On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 9:42:02 AM UTC-4, unman wrote:

> > > I just did a fresh install of Qubes OS 4.0 on new hardware and I'm having
> > > the exact same problem. None of the suggestions here have resulted in any
> > > change, although I did not try:
> > >
> > > sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community
> > > --action=reinstall qubes-template-debian-9
> > >
> > > and I'm not that interested in going that route.
> > >
> > > I've been using Qubes OS 3.2 for over a year now without this type of
> > > problem. Any more suggestions or fixes?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > John
> > >

> > Have you tried the obvious, and created the missing directory?
> > Ownership should be root:qubes - compare to the other template
> > directories.
> >
> > The only content is a symlink icon.png, pointing to
> > /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/devices/appvm-black/png
> > You could create this yourself also.
>
> Unman, thanks for replying. I didn't run that command (sudo qubes-dom0-update
> --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community --action=reinstall
> qubes-template-debian-9), so I don't know if I would get the same error
> message, but I do have the directory /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/debian-9.
>
> I've performed an automatic re-install of the debian-9 template twice and a
> manual re-install once. Still, no applications display under Applications
> tab. I can't even run a terminal via dom0 using:  qvm-run debian-9
> gnome-terminal
>
> I have to believe there is a simple command to make this debian-9 template
> functional, but I don't know where to go from here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Sorry John, I misunderstood.
The message you quoted referred to a VM directory that did not exist,
and I assumed *that* was your problem.

It appears that your problem is that the template does not show any
applications. Have you tried running 'qvm-start debian-9' followed by
'qvm-sync-appmenus debian-9' ? What is the result?

Incidentally, it would be helpful if you gave a little more information
about the errors you are encountering. When you try to run
gnome-terminal, what exactly happens? Do you see any error messages?
Does the template start?

Have you tried running other applications using qvm-run? xterm? firefox?

unman