I've just installed Qubes OS 4.0 on my old laptop to get the hang of it before
I (hopefully) make my leap over from Windows!

I wanted to install some new software in the personal and work domains so I
went to the "Qubes Menu -> Template: fedora-26 -> fedora-26: Software" and
clicked the Install button for an app however it only ever displayed pending. I
opened up the Qubes Manager and noticed that no NetVM was assigned to any of
the templates. I opened the settings and assigned it sys-firewall which then
allowed me to install programs.

On the https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/ page under "Notes on
trusting your TemplateVM(s)" heading it says:

"Only install packages from trusted sources – e.g. from the pre-configured
Fedora repositories. All those packages are signed by Fedora, and we expect
that at least the package’s installation scripts are not malicious. This is
enforced by default (at the firewall VM level), by not allowing any networking
connectivity in the default template VM, except for access to the Fedora repos."

This no longer seems the case in Qubes OS 4.0 - no NetVM is attached to the
TemplateVMs and no default firewall rules. Okay, onto the questions:

1) Have these defaults been missed out from the Qubes OS 4.0 install?
2) Or is the documentation out of date and it's now recommended to do something
else?
3) How should I go about installing/updating apps in the TemplateVMs?
3a) permanently attach sys-firewall and create firewall rules to only allow
trusted repos as the docs currently suggest
3b) or only attach sys-firewall when updating/installing and disconnect
afterwards?

Thanks! =)