I am still having difficulty getting these vms to be reachable with each other.
Basically what I want to do is have a home security/automation vm, and a
freenas vm, communicate with the outside world and with the vm that controls my
access points/physical switches.

Currently I have the usual sys-net/sys-firewall. Each service vm(access points,
freenas, etc.) Has its own firewall vm. Those fireall service vms are all
connected to sys-firewall.

I followed the instructions in the qubes-firewall docs setting up forwarding
between the service firewalls to travel through sys-firewall. And each service
firewall vm(and their associated service vm), can ping every firewall vm in the
system. But the actual service vms themselves cannot ping each other.

So for example: freenas vm > freenas vm firewall > sys firewall > home security
firewall vm.
All will allow ping, but i cant get freenas to talk to home security vm, as i
intend on using the nas storage to store the camera footage.

Similarly the home security vm can do the same amount of pings, but fails to
talk to freenas.

I suspect NAT is the issue but lack the knowledge base to enable this to work.

I am not particularly dead set on using all these firewall vms either but this
is the config thats gotten me the furthest so far.