On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 7:58:49 AM UTC-6, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 10/12/2018 01:44 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> > e on 10/12/18 5:37 AM:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> After completing install (for my first time), I was able to login.
> >>
> >> Going to the menu, "Create Qubes VM," getting the dialog box titled
> >> "[Dom0] Create new qube," the Template select drop-down control only
> >> has "default(none)," even if I select type Standalone rather than AppVM.
> >> Also, I don't see anything anywhere like work, personal and untrusted,
> >> neither sys-net or sys-usb. /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates has a debian
> >> and fedora folder, but it seems like these are not available when
> >> trying to create qubes via CLI via qvm-create. journalctl all show an
> >> AssertionError.
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > Did you receive any errors on the first post-install boot? There's a
> > step there that is supposed to configure all those templates. Is it
> > possible you skipped it? Otherwise, often a misbehaving network device
> > causes sys-net creation to break, which then causes the rest to fail to
> > get created. In that case, try disabling your wifi card temporarily,
> > then reinstalling. You can re-enable it afterwards and add it back to
> > your sys-net in Qube Settings/Devices.
> >

> Try 'sudo dnf list qubes-template*' to see a list of installed
> templates. If there are none, try mounting the installation media,
> locate a qubes-template*rpm file and install the rpm file directly. This
> should be a lot less time-consuming than re-installing Qubes.
>
> --
>
> Chris Laprise,
> https://github.com/tasket
> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

I tried disabling wifi and reinstalling entire Qubes again (a 12 hour process
on my USB 2.0 sticks) but ended up with same thing (actually, since I tried not
creating root user this time, I had to manually start some services libvirtd
relies on - had to add root user to qubes and libvirtd groups for that to work,
and was finally back to the point, again, where the error is just default
template missing).

The /var/lib/qubes directory had full pack of 2G+ of template and kernel files,
and after tracing through python code to decode assertion errors, I was
convinced something in the templates did not get completely installed or
configured (ie in both full Qubes OS install instances). rpm -ihv
Packages/q/qubes-templates (after mounting the installer) said templates were
already installed, so I did an rpm --reinstall instead. Then instead of missing
template error I started to get no default_kernel, so did similar to
Packages/k/qubes-kernel and was finally able to select template in qube
creation, and qvm-ls finally displayed more than just AdminVM.
Now, I have to figure out how to configure sys-net and connect it to another
VM, but this seems to be another matter (Salt, Networking and Template VM
documents seem to cover that). BTW, rpm reinstall for both packages ended with
errors, but the VM still launched.

Thanks for your suggestion - it helped a lot.