On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 11:16:59 AM UTC-5, pkra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 9:37:48 AM UTC-4, John Maher wrote:

> > > No OnlyKey either, but I think it is possible to have two USB
> > > "keyboards" in Qubes if you edit the file described here:
> > > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/#r32-manual.
> >
> > Thanks for your responses. I figured out a solution.
> >
> > I figured out a way to use OnlyKey with Qubes OS. I suspect I've violated
> > some basic security principles relative to how Qubes is intended to be
> > used, but I accept the compromise, which I think (hope) is minimal.
> >
> > Because an OnlyKey needs a time source in order for its TOTP feature to
> > function, either the OnlyKey app (standalone or Chrome extension) or
> > navigating to https://apps.crp.to, after the OnlyKey is inserted into a USB
> > port, need to be available. In Qubes, I discovered that inserting the
> > OnlyKey (and unlocking it with the PIN) and attaching it to the appVM where
> > I want to use it resulted in the OnlyKey not functioning as a keyboard,
> > which is needed to do its job. In dom0, adding this line to the top of
> > /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.InputKeyboard (see
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/#how-to-use-a-usb-keyboard) allowed the
> > OnlyKey to operate as a keyboard in all VMs (without attaching the OnlyKey
> > to a VM):
> >
> >   sys-usb dom0 allow,user=root
> >
> > However, to use TOTP it still needed access to the app or to
> > https://apps.crp.to. But, again, when I attached the OnlyKey to an appVM,
> > the OnlyKey stopped functioning as a keyboard, even when I detached it from
> > the appVM.
> >
> > So, I did the following:
> >
> > 1. Temporarily provided Internet access to sys-usb.
> > 2. Opened Chrome and installed the OnlyKey extension.
> > 3. Disabled the sys-usb VM's Internet access.
> >
> > Now, after inserting the OnlyKey and entering its PIN, I can open the
> > OnlyKey Chrome app (which does not need Internet access to function),
> > resulting in the OnlyKey getting its time set. Because of the previous edit
> > of "qubes.InputKeyboard", the OnlyKey functions as a keyboard and all is
> > well.
> >
> > I'm happy to hear comments or cautions regarding this.
> >
> > John
>
> John,
>
> As I understood your setup for OnlyKey consists of two parts: first - make it
> work as a keyboard, second - make TOTP work. I think I stuck on the first
> one. I modified the file from Qubes docs and I able to attach a regular USB
> keyboard - it works in any qubes. But when I insert the OnlyKey stick I see
> it is discovered as a Teensyduino_Keyboard_RawHID_xxx but the LED indicator
> on the stick doesn't work and it looks like it doesn't accept the PIN (or
> even do anything). Does you LED work well for you? Any thoughts?

So the way mine works is actually consistent with using it on non-Qubes
systems. I insert the onlykey, and it blinks a little, and then no lights
display. I can then enter my PIN and the green light will go on. At that point
the onlykey will output info from any of the buttons, but TOTP won't work. Then
I open the onlykey app and then TOTP will work as well.

John