On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 4:03:33 PM UTC, mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 11:20:09 UTC+3, awokd  wrote:
> > > I am running Qubes 4.0 on MacBook Mid-2015 (exactly the same model
> > > described here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/macbook-troubleshooting/).
> > > The whole system crashes after attaching the Broadcom Wifi adapter to
> > > sys-net VM. This behaviour is described in the troubleshooting article
> > > mentioned above, however the workaround does not work for me.
> > > When sys-net is not running I do:
> > > [root@dom0 ~]# xl pci-assignable-list
> > > 0000:0b:00.0
> > > 0000:04:00.0
> > > [root@dom0 ~]# lspci | grep 04:00
> > > 04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM43602 802.11ac Wireless
> > > LAN SoC (rev 01)
> > > [root@dom0 ~]# echo 04:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/permissive
> > > [root@dom0 ~]# cat /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/permissive
> > > 0000:04:00.0
> > > [root@dom0 ~]# qvm-start sys-net
> > > [root@dom0 ~]# xl pci-attach sys-net 04:00.0
> > > [root@dom0 ~]# xl pci-assignable-list
> > > [root@dom0 ~]#
> > > After this I don't see the wifi card in lspci output of sys-net.
> > > I don't see anything in sys-net's dmesg either.
> > > If I now attach the wifi card using qvm-pci (or GUI) the system will
> > > crash.
> > > Any idea how I can handle it?
> > Try using these newer steps for permissive mode in 4.0:
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/assigning-devices/#r40-1. Might help your
> > Thunderbolt problem too.
>
> Many thanks for your answer.
> The new way of managing devices does not help though.
> Fails for both WiFi and Thunderbolt Ethernet, ie. WiFi crashes the whole
> system and Thunderbolt Ethernet is not handled properly by tg3 driver.
>
> Any other ideas how I can move forward?
> I don't have any networking available at the moment... if there was at least
> one networking device available I could enjoy the Qubes...
>
> Is it possible that OS updates (dom0 and/or VM) would fix any of these
> issues? I mean I run Qubes 4.0 from the ISO and cannot even install any
> updates because of the lack of connectivity...
> If so, how can I upgrade by downloading relevant packages on other system?
>

> Thanks,
> Mike

On my Macbook Pro I can successfully use the Broadcom BCM43602 wifi adapter
with a Fedora sys-net by using a short script to start sys-net manually after
boot (i.e. I disable sys-net auto start and then run the following script
manually after each boot to start sys-net):

#!/bin/bash
qvm-start sys-net &
sleep 3
sudo xl pci-attach sys-net '03:00.0,permissive=1'

---
Basically what works (on my system), and what the script does is to attach the
Broadcom adapter to sys-net as soon as possible after starting sys-net (but
before the sys-net VM has fully booted), a 3 second delay works reasonably
reliably on my system.

Things that don't work for me:
- Attaching the adapter to sys-net before starting it causes my system to
freeze when sys-net is started.
- Attaching the adapter to sys-net too late in the sys-net VM boot process
causes it to not be detected by sys-net (when last I tried anyway).
- qvm-pci doesn't work to attach it (when last I tried anyway), hence using xl
pci-attach.
- I don't think a debian sys-net template worked for me with the BCM43602 when
last I tried, at the moment I'm successfully using a fedora 28 template for
sys-net .
- It something goes wrong during the pci attachment on my system I sometimes
have to reboot the whole system and try again before it will work...

I also have the thunderbolt ethernet adapter working, I think the trick there
is that you have to attach it to the MacBook before booting Qubes, hot plug
didn't work when last I tested it.