On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 3:39:25 PM UTC-8, unman wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:20:11PM -0800, John Smiley wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 9:11:34 PM UTC-8, John Smiley wrote:
> > > I've been having head-banging issues with 4.0 and 4.0.1-rc1 ever since I
> > > became a fledgling Qubes user a few weeks ago.  I never did get Qubes
> > > working well with Whonix 14 on the desktop.
> > >
> > > When 4.0.1-rc2 came out the other day, I made a new bootable USB stick
> > > with it and replaced Ubuntu on my Thinkpad T480 with it.  It booted and
> > > installed without a hitch.  Perfect first use impression (minus a point
> > > for nagging about template updates that aren't there).
> > >
> > > Then I decided to do a reinstall (for the N thousanth time) on my
> > > X299-based desktop.  4.0.1-rc2 fired right up.  No problems whatsoever.
> > > It works like I expected 4.0 and 4.0.1-rc1 to work.
> > >
> > > Then for the really impressive part.  I have a Caldigit TS3 Plus that I
> > > like to use to move all of the wire mess to it and have a single
> > > Thunderbolt3 wire running from it to the T480.  It provides lots of
> > > things but I use it for power to my laptop (replacing the brick),
> > > Ethernet, Displayport for a second monitor, and USB 3.1.  After the
> > > 4.0.1-rc2 install went so well, I decided to plug that bad boy in and
> > > watch Qubes fall to the ground writhing in agony.
> > >
> > > My expectations were not met.  4.0.1-rc2 handled it like a champ.  I had
> > > to do some minor fiddling with the display settings to get the second
> > > monitor working via DP and after a bit of hunting around, I discovered
> > > that all I had to do to get Ethernet working was to add the new Ethernet
> > > controller it saw to sys-net.  Shutdown the Whonix GW and sys-firewall,
> > > reboot sys-net, restart sys-firewall and the Whonix GW, plug in my
> > > Ethernet cable and voila.  It works!
> > >
> > > Now the first question that comes to mind is, how much security did I
> > > throw out the window when I plugged that Thunderbolt 3 hub in?
> >
> > Oh and one more thing.  Everything installed with default settings.  No
> > fiddling with kernelopts to get the Debian-9 template to boot on the X299
> > desktop by setting noxsave.
> >

> Very pleased all the testing you did on rc1 paid off. ;-)
> Now you need to do the same on rc2. Somewhat disappointed that you
> haven't yet found a bug or two.

Haven't had time to do much more than install it yet.  At least it's up.  The
bugs I was hitting before were all related to installing / upgrading.

A partial answer to my question about how much security is diminished when
using Thunderbolt comes from the Whonix doc on hardware hardening.
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/System_Hardening_Checklist#Anonymous_Blogging.2C_Posting.2C_Chat.2C_Email_and_File_Sharing

"Disable or remove problematic devices like ExpressCard, PCMCIA, FireWire or
Thunderbolt which may allow attackers with physical access to read RAM."