On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 3:39:25 PM UTC-8, unman wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:20:11PM -0800, John Smiley wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 9:11:34 PM UTC-8, John Smiley wrote:
> > > I've been having head-banging issues with 4.0 and 4.0.1-rc1 ever since I
> > > became a fledgling Qubes user a few weeks ago.  I never did get Qubes
> > > working well with Whonix 14 on the desktop.
> > >
> > > When 4.0.1-rc2 came out the other day, I made a new bootable USB stick
> > > with it and replaced Ubuntu on my Thinkpad T480 with it.  It booted and
> > > installed without a hitch.  Perfect first use impression (minus a point
> > > for nagging about template updates that aren't there).
> > >
> > > Then I decided to do a reinstall (for the N thousanth time) on my
> > > X299-based desktop.  4.0.1-rc2 fired right up.  No problems whatsoever.
> > > It works like I expected 4.0 and 4.0.1-rc1 to work.
> > >
> > > Then for the really impressive part.  I have a Caldigit TS3 Plus that I
> > > like to use to move all of the wire mess to it and have a single
> > > Thunderbolt3 wire running from it to the T480.  It provides lots of
> > > things but I use it for power to my laptop (replacing the brick),
> > > Ethernet, Displayport for a second monitor, and USB 3.1.  After the
> > > 4.0.1-rc2 install went so well, I decided to plug that bad boy in and
> > > watch Qubes fall to the ground writhing in agony.
> > >
> > > My expectations were not met.  4.0.1-rc2 handled it like a champ.  I had
> > > to do some minor fiddling with the display settings to get the second
> > > monitor working via DP and after a bit of hunting around, I discovered
> > > that all I had to do to get Ethernet working was to add the new Ethernet
> > > controller it saw to sys-net.  Shutdown the Whonix GW and sys-firewall,
> > > reboot sys-net, restart sys-firewall and the Whonix GW, plug in my
> > > Ethernet cable and voila.  It works!
> > >
> > > Now the first question that comes to mind is, how much security did I
> > > throw out the window when I plugged that Thunderbolt 3 hub in?
> >
> > Oh and one more thing.  Everything installed with default settings.  No
> > fiddling with kernelopts to get the Debian-9 template to boot on the X299
> > desktop by setting noxsave.
> >

> Very pleased all the testing you did on rc1 paid off. ;-)
> Now you need to do the same on rc2. Somewhat disappointed that you
> haven't yet found a bug or two.

"Somewhat disappointed that you haven't yet found a bug or two."
Well, I did mention that the template update system was nagging about updates
that don't exist.  That's one!

You could consider the manual fiddling required to get the devices on the
Thunderbolt 3 hub working a bug (or two if you count per device), so that's two
and maybe three.

I'll have plenty of time to poke at it over the holiday week.  I'm sure I'll
find some more.  I've got a lot of reading and setup to do to make this into a
usable replacement for a regular use environment.  Once I get through the
hardening tips, password management and use of Yubikey for various things like
LUKS, user authentication and setting up we-based 2FA are top of my list.

Thank you again for your help and patience.