John Goold:
I should have been clearer in indicating how far the boot process got:

The text messages were displayed starting in the top left corner of the screen
until the screen cleared and the Qubes Q-logo was displayed with a progress bar
underneath.

The boot process continued until the progress indicator was about 1/4 to 1/3 of
the way across, then the screen went black and my computer starts to reboot.

Did the 4.0 installer reboot in the same spot? I've heard of this happening with newer kernels sometimes, but the one in the original release is older. Also, if you're getting that far there might be something in the log files. Boot in rescue mode if you can (or another distribution), mount the system disk and check.