On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 9:34:48 PM UTC+1, Demi M. Obenour wrote:
> Someone I know is interested in using QubesOS.  However, they are also a
> gamer: if they could not have a Windows VM with access to a dedicated
> graphics card for use by games, then QubesOS is not an option for them.
>
> How risky is GPU pass-through?  My understanding is that on most
> laptops, the primary (internal) display is connected to the integrated
> GPU.  Therefore, it appears to me that the risks are no more than
> pass-through of the USB, Ethernet, or wireless controllers, all of which
> QubesOS does by default.

Laptops are not going to work well with PCI-passthrough.  My laptop has almost
every device in it's own IOMMU group.  However, sadly it only has one GPU.

Solutions that have worked for others, look here.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/play-games-in-windows-on-linux-pci-passthrough-quick-guide/108981

Also watch the youtube videos and read the forums from this group.  There is
much information to glean.

unRAID.net may also be a consideration with lower security though.  Again many
videos that have information that can be gleaned.  Search youtube for
spaceinvader one.

I am considering a Proxmox server for my personal needs since qubes doesn't
have support for GPU pass-through.

With all of that said I really wish qubes would allow the user to determine how
much security they want in their system build and just support GPU pass-through
so qubes would be an option.