On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 11:54:57 AM UTC-8, John S.Recdep wrote:
> On 12/26/18 4:49 AM,
> brendan.hoar-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 9:56:40 PM UTC-5, John Smiley wrote:
> >> U2F Proxy is not so cool. So far no joy getting it to work. Someone on
> >> reddit
> >> had similar issues and questions and resolved by installing USB keyboard
> >> support. That’s not mentioned in the Qubes docs and I hope we don’t have to
> >> resort to that.
> >
> > I haven't yet tried the U2F proxy, it is on my todo list.
> >
> > I'm also not quite so happy about the complexity of getting a security
> > focused device (yubikey) working with a security focused OS (QubesOS).
> >
> > I believe I understand the nature of the yubikey problem, though: Qubes is
> > engineered to protect you from untrusted peripherals...and this somewhat
> > conflicts with the design of yubikeys on multiple fronts: we want to use
> > yubikeys across multiple VMs (using devices across VMs increases risk);
> > yubikeys are composite USB devices, which means they often have multiple
> > endpoints for different functions (HID keyboard plus, CCID
> > smartcard/javacard, U2F) which makes securely proxying them more complex;
> > and for those who have serious safety risks, a fake yubikey could destroy
> > one's opsec in multiple ways...even a real one could if you are not careful
> > with your usage.
> >
> > In my case, I have decided to somewhat compromise QubesOS security a bit
> > and disable the USB/HID keyboard protections in Qubes dom0 for now so that
> > I could log into LastPass with my yubikey OTP in a couple of my VMs without
> > too much fiddling. I have kept notes on the changes and how to reverse them.
> >
> > So, as I said above, I haven't addressed the U2F compatibility on my
> > current R4 build (but neither do I have a multipmedia VM set up with Chrome
> > yet :) ). So, I use my backup method of yubico authenticator on another
> > device and type in six-digit TOTP codes instead of using the U2F
> > functionality.
> >
> > Anyway, I suggest keeping a running log of modifications/configurations
> > (both TODO and done) somewhere easily accessible across devices (I use a
> > google doc) to speed future configurations/rebuilds. I don't keep anything
> > that needs to be secure there, just notes, simple scripts, etc.
> >
> >> If that were a requirement, surely the docs would have
> >> mentioned it.
> >
> > Haha. Er, I mean, that *should* be the case... :)
> >
> > Brendan
> >

> I'd like to see your "notes" on the yubikey and lastpass,  as I long ago
> gave up  on using my Yubikey in OTP mode, despite many trials ....
>
> I have the U2F proxy working it seems but just use it for 2FA for gmail
> and such , lastpass I'm stuck using the Authenticator on a Mobile phone
> ..... because I can't use the OTP
>
> my qubes system has a USB -> PS/2  converter, I might run qubes on
> another computer but it has no PS/2  port and I fear botching the
> [...]

If I need to use the YubiKey for OTP, I attach it directly to the qube that
needs it and then disconnect it once I no longer need it.  For LastPass, I have
a Qube just for that which uses a browser that I have marked as trusted, so I
only need the YubiKey every 30 days.  Not the best solution, but that's where
all of my personal keys are.  For anon stuff, I have different accounts and use
KeepassX on a clone of Vault which is much more secure.  I also use different
sets of YubiKeys for anon than I do for personal.  Those sites that allow for
U2F I configure to use the proxy.  Those that don't I use the vault.