On 1/14/19 11:59 AM, Alexandre Belgrand wrote:
> Le lundi 14 janvier 2019 à 01:52 +0000, js...@bitmessage.ch a écrit :
>> It sounds like you've already looked at the docs but here's the link:
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/
>> You have to have sys-usb to attach a usb device like a scanner to an
>> appvm (unless you can just attach the whole usb controller, which
>> you
>> can't).
>
> Pardon my ignorance, I am planning to install Qubes on a laptop.
>
> I need to connect to
> (1) a USB scanner and
> (2) a USB smartcard reader (with OpenSC).
>
> In the documentation it is written:
>
> " Note, you cannot pass through devices from dom0 (in other words: a
> USB VM is required). To use this feature, you need to have the qubes-
> usb-proxy package installed in the template used for the USB qube "
>
> Does it mean I will have to create a USB VM and then connect it to
> other VMs using USB proxy. And I will loose USB keyboard and mouse in
> dom0.

You will need a VM with the USB controller assigned to it. Actually that
VM is created by default at install time (it's called "sys-usb"). You
won't "loose" your USB keyboard/mouse in dom0: those are "proxied" from
sys-usb to dom0 with the help of the qubes-input-proxy daemon, which -
if I'm not mistaken - has nothing to do with proxying of USB devices
from one VM to another.

So in theory you would plug your scanner which should appear in sys-usb,
and you'd attach ("proxy") it to a VM where you have your scanning
software installed. If you're lucky it will work that way but not every
USB device works well with proxying and scanners aren't know to be very
plug&play friendly. In that case you will have to use sys-usb directly
(either for firmware loading - most scanners need that nowadays - or for
firmware loading + scanning software).
That's also why you have the option to combine sys-net and sys-usb into
one VM during installation time: some USB networking devices can't be
proxied so the only way to use them is to have the usb controllers in
sys-net (or symmetrically, networking support in sys-usb).

Ditto for the smartcard reader...

Hope this helps...
Ivan