On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 7:52:29 PM UTC-6, js...@bitmessage.ch wrote:
> John Goold:
> > Just discovered that there is only one USB controller (but 4 USB connector
> > sockets). So when I tried to attach the USB controller to the appVM (had to
> > set it to HVM), I lost the mouse and keyboard :-(
> >
> > I have got the impression from reading the documentation and posts to this
> > forum that if I have disk encryption enabled, that I cannot create a
> > sys-usb VM without losing the mouse+keyboard (and possibly not being able
> > to enter the pass-phrase when powering up.
>
> Yea with only one usb controller you can't attach the whole controller
> to a VM without losing your usb keyboard/mouse. I'm in the same situation.
>
> It sounds like you've already looked at the docs but here's the link:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/
>
> You have to have sys-usb to attach a usb device like a scanner to an
> appvm (unless you can just attach the whole usb controller, which you
> can't).
>
> I haven't done this myself but my understanding from reading the docs is
> it's still possible to have sys-usb, you just have to be careful not to
> lock yourself out (not able to control the system with usb
> mouse/keyboard, or not able to enter encryption passphrase at boot).
>
> According to the docs, if you're using 4.0, you can just use salt to set
> up a usb qube with the ability to use a usb keyboard with the command
>
> sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.usb-keyboard
>
> The doc says that this will create the usb qube if it's not present, and
> that it will expose dom0 to usb devices on boot so you can enter the
> passphrase. After you do this though you still may want to check your
> grub/efi config file to make sure it doesn't have the
> "rd.qubes.hide_all_usb" line in it, just in case.
>
> Or you can follow the steps in the docs to do it manually, just make
> sure to add the required lines to the qubes.InputKeyboard and
> qubes.InputMouse files first, and don't add the "rd.qubes.hide_all_usb
> line to grub/efi config file.
>
> Also this has security implications since if your sys-usb is compromised
> an attacker could scoop up your keystrokes, but this should still be
> safer than attaching insecure usb devices to dom0.
>
> But it should work, unless i'm reading something wrong.
>
> --
> Jackie

I re-read the document you pointed me at (and then re-read it again!). Although
I have put several days of work into my transition to using Qubes (I am using
Qubes 4.0.1), I would be left with very unappealing options if I could not use
the scanner under Qubes.

So, with a great deal of trepidation, I tried the Salt approach.

It worked flawlessly -- my very first test was to shut down my computer and
then reboot. I, though I hate to admit it, had my fingers crossed at the point
that the Luks request for a pass phrase showed up. But the keyboard worked and
the rest of the boot-up ran fine.

I realize there may be some security vulnerabilities because of this set up;
however, I am a non-entity as far as some one choosing to invest considerable
effort to hack. I doubt any of the USB devices I use pose a threat (to me).

There is one strange thing, but I will start a separate thread for it (I do not
seem to be able to configure my mouse as left-handed).

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.