Hello, id suggest to configure coreboot so you can update it internally
with the latest microcode-updates. Just make sure its correctly
configured to only accept updates signed by yourself.

Coreboot can/ will improve your security by a lot even with IME
untouched for a number of reasons, personally, i would consider an
proprietary Bios or central Bios blobs a much higher risk then Intel Me
untouched.

I really dont want to defend the Intel ME or AMD PSP (id never use a
computer with newer ME versions), but in comparison, this whole Me thing
is a bit blown out of proportion. There are bigger issues with recent
hardware.

Also, while your right about the Intel ME, the me version on the x230
can be reduced to the minimal amount of blobs, and more important,
contrary to newer versions shuts down/ is only active in the very first
states of the boot process, thus providing a significant security benefit.

I suggest to also check out Raptor Engineering, its completely free and
real open source hardware, altough unfortunately its not possible to use
with qubes (yet?).

Its really awesome hardware, and one could build even a poor mans Qubes
os with OpenBSD.

cheers