On 2/6/19 10:36 AM, unman wrote:

> What one does with one's browser history, even assuming one's
> browser has a browser history, is clearly not governed by law,
> except perhaps in countries like China and Russion.
>
> Actually, it may be governed by law in the US, but not in Russia.
> The  FBI have interpreted Sarbanes-Oxley as creating a felony
> offence where one deletes browser history where there was
> reasonable expectation of investigation. It has been used against
> Matanov, a friend of the Boston bombers, and David Kernell, who
> hacked Sarah Palin's email. The EFF have highlighted this
> interpretation of Sarbanes Oxley as egregious, but no doubt the
> authorities deem it necessary.
>
> Note that it is NOT illegal in the US to clear your browser
> history: but it may prove a felony offence to do so. In the two
> cases cited there were reasonable grounds to suppose that a federal
> investigation would take place.

I think it should go without saying that anyone that violates a court
order issued against them is committing an offense.

Hmmm... So, in the U.S., if you are in a position that there was "a
reasonable expectation of investigation", any attempt to maintain your
privacy may be construed (at least by the FBI) to be a felony offence?
 Wow! Egregious seems to be an understatement.

It seems a bit surreal. A person was not expecting to be the target of
a government/justice system investigation, but someone or some group
say the person should have expected to be investigated... I can see
this happening in a non-democratic regime, but it seems unreal in a
nation professing to be at the forefront of democracy.

Anyway, I do not have to worry about this as I do not allow my browser
to keep track of my browsing history (unless the browser is doing so
surreptitiously). So I have no browser history to delete. However, I
suppose if I became the subject of an investigation, any of my
attempts (all mild) to maintain my privacy would be interpreted as
nefarious.

Anyway, as you implied, I was making assumptions based on my
expectations of living in a democracy.

It's an interesting discussion.