kitchm via Forum:
The discussion includes the fine points about the legality
of keeping the information of a mailing list on one's own
computer for searching or referencing, or whatever some have
thought it useful for.  Obviously not a good idea for the
security reasons stated.  (I might add that not one person
has listed the steps for so doing anyway.  Even when asked,
it appears it is easy to talk but hard to do.)

Hi,

I think the easiest way to do that is to sign up for the mailing list using an email provider that supports POP3 (i guess IMAP could work too, but i hate IMAP). Then set up an email client like Thunderbird using POP3, and all posts to the mailing list (from that point forward) will be downloaded to Thunderbird as emails. Then you can just archive everything (or as much or as little as you want). It may also make sense to transfer the archived emails to an offline VM for security reasons.

If you mean to also archive all posts that were made before you joined the mailing list, i think there's a way to do that too, but i'm not sure how.

--
Jackie