On 20/02/2019 2.53 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 2/20/19 2:46 PM, Stuart Perkins wrote:

>>> I've checked qvm-backup. It's an appropriate solution if you
>>> don't care about disk space and bandwitdth of the network
>>> connection. Saving of a subset of files due to remote space
>>> and bandwidth resouces will not work well with qvm-backup.
>>>
>>> Also incremental backup is not really possible with
>>> qvm-backup.

It depends on how much data you have, but for most users, qvm-backup on
a subset of VMs with bzip2 compression is likely to result in a
reasonably small backup file that is suitable for daily or weekly
backups.

IMHO: qvm-backup is an underrated, underutilized tool. It's currently
the most secure way to do backups in Qubes OS (and has been for
years), because it performs authentication and encryption/decryption
in dom0 without having to install any additional programs in dom0.
It's time-tested, reliable, and secure: exactly what I want from a
backup tool. Really the only major thing it's missing is, as you say,
incremental backup functionality.

> [...]
>
> A good backup solution for security-focused systems should run in
> the Admin scope, handle disk volumes without getting involved in
> guest filesystems, and instantly know which parts of each volume
> have changed without data scans or regard to file sizes. The user
> should also feel free to consider any volumes for backup without
> thinking about additional security logistics (which guests can be
> trusted, etc).

Agreed. qvm-backup ticks all of these boxes except incremental backups.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org