On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:31:02 -0500
John Goold <jrg.desk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>*A Critique of Qubes*
>
>Before discussing Qubes, I want to give you a bit of background about
>me. I do not want to tell my life-story, I doubt anyone is interested.
>However, I want you to know "where I am coming from" and what I want
>from Qubes. I am keeping in mind that what I want is just that and
>Qubes may not be intended to satisfy, or interest in satisfying my
>wants and needs -- that is, I may simply be part of the wrong
>demographic.
>
>* Retired roughly 2 decades
>* 73 years old
>* Degree in Computer Science
>* Started out programming mainframes in Assembly Language (machine
>  code)
>* Later, large-scale software development (various roles) -- R & D,
>  telecoms and mission-critical apps (those involved in health-care are
>  regulated)
>* Proprietary H/W and OSes, then various Unixes.
>
>I am not paranoid over privacy and security, but I recognize there are
>many individuals who, rightfully, fear for their privacy and anonymity
>- -- their livelihood and even their lives may depend on it.
>
>Wants:
>
>* Reliability -- do not fail on me or, if something goes wrong, fail
>  gracefully.
>* Reasonable security -- more than is provided by the more standard
>  Linux distributions (I am a fan of Linux Mint).
>* Reasonable privacy (I hope that is not an oxymoron); though perhaps
>  it is too late in the game for me (though I have never been a fan of
>  social media, or anything Google)
>* No need to spend large amounts of time tinkering with my basic
>  personal computer setup.
>* Ease of use and administration, including software installation.
>* GUI for virtually everything unless there is a really, really, really
>  good reason to use a CLI. Do not get me wrong, I am comfortable with
>  CLI's, but I do not want to spend my time researching various Linux
>  administration tools. Consider me lazy if you wish.
>* No need to build my own tools to use Qubes (I do some website and
>  server- side development to keep the neurons firing -- I can do all
>  the programming I want in that environment).
>
>Basically, my personal computer(s) is a tool. If I write some software
>on it, that software will be for some other purpose and not to
>complement the OS.
>
>- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Critique:
>
>I started using Qubes for my main computer about two months ago. I had
>previously experimented with release 3.2 and 4.0 on my HP laptop and
>ran into various problems -- discussed by many users ad nausium in
>qubes-users. I got a nice little desktop computer for Christmas (from
>my wife :-) -- an Intel NUC7i7 (32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD).
>
>So I started from the beginning. Installing Qubes 4.0.1 was relatively
>straightforward, although it did require researching the use of a USB
> [...]

Welcome to Qubes.  I've been using it about a year, and I'm still on 3.2.  I
have a motherboard issue with my laptop, and have another one to replace it
with...just haven't taken the time yet.  USB ports are non functional on this
one, and I want them to work before going to 4.?  I am running a Lenovo T520
with the open source bios burned onto it to eliminate the Intel ME.  My
replacement board has the BIOS burned, but I haven't taken the time to
re-install it yet.

My setup and backup routine is as follows:

I have kept my "important" information in a Luks Encrypted container for some
time now, pre-dating my Qubes use.  I went Linux on my laptop back in '08, and
went to whole disk encryption shortly after that.  When I went with Qubes, I
modified it for performance reasons where only the important data is actually
encrypted.  My Qubes laptop has the main OS drive encrypted (160GB SSD) but the
extra space is not (2TB HDD) and most of my user data is on VM's with their
drive space on the HDD for size reasons.  On Qubes, there are two VM's of
concern.

One is "mail", where I gather all of my e-mails (28 or so of them) with
claws-mail (stores as discrete files, so recovery/search is possible without a
specific program..I've used this since I've been on Linux, and I converted my
old Outlook database to it so I have e-mails literally 30 years old).

The other is "money", where I keep a Dosbox Ryan-McFarland Cobol system I wrote
in the 80's for my personal bank account records and GnuCASH for my business
records.

I also run the delivered "vault" VM with keePassX (and NO network connection)
where I have all of the various accounts and passwords recorded.  It is not by
default included in the encrypted backups, but I keep a recent copy of the data
file with my "money" records too.

Scripts back these up to a copy of the Luks container on my home server as
often as I run them, which is at least daily, or more often. My home server is
a Debian server (no GUI/DE) running a small number of VirtualBox VMs for
different things.  I do have a static IP at home since I host my own web page
for my farm (Drupal in a VM) which makes connecting home simpler than a dynamic
IP.

I am creating a "Doomsday.doc" document with instructions on how to run my
laptop in the event of my incapacitation/demise.  While I don't expect my wife
or other survivors to continue to use my setup, at least they can get to all of
the logins as needed to finalize bank accounts and bills, crypto currency
wallets etc...

Once I am happy with the document, I will print it and put it in my safe at
home.  If I had assets, I would include it with a will at an attorney's office,
but I'm pretty much medically broke right now trying to make sure one of my
children actually survives me.  Making medical history is expensive.

I have had zero issues with the stability of Xen, Dom0 or the data storage on
Qubes 3.2...but...I am not doing logical volumes.  I may delve into that when I
do the 4.x install, but I may not as well as it is an additional failure point
as far as I'm concerned.  The main justification is to be able to add drives
and therefore space without having to completely copy everything, but I'm not
dealing with 10's of TB's of data either.

Anyway, it is good to see another old Mainframe guy using Qubes.  It is almost
like running an entire datacenter on your laptop.  I got my start with the PC's
before they were called "PC's" with the Ryan-McFarland stuff, then jumped over
to the Mainframe world for a while...enduring the "upgrade" from VS Cobol to VS
Cobol II...dabbling with IMS, IDMS and DB2 with a little ALC programming thrown
in for good measure.  I've been pretty much exclusively working with the Lawson
ERP for the last 20 years.  The one thing I miss with Qubes is the fact that my
old copy of ISPFPC (4.0) won't run with Xen.  :)