Thanks for your input Brendan, David, Chris.

Having switched to KDE, the laptop is now completely stable, and in my
opinion far more usable than XFCE.

I'm also running Trisquel on a Thinkpad X200 flashed with Libreboot, which
feels more secure although requires more care over choosing what to
install. I would be keen to see a laptop that supports Libreboot and is
powerful enough to run Qubes.

What are your thoughts on LXD? Lightweight enough to run on an X200/T400,
although of course not offering the same compartmentalization as XEN,
sharing the same kernel etc

[and yes something can 'feel' more secure, insight deeper into the stack
results in more trust]

Marc Griffiths
marc.d.griffi...@gmail.com