On 8/27/19 4:18 AM, panina wrote:
> What I'm after is something that does what dvm's do, but not through
> Qubes. Same effect, on something that boots on a USB stick or so, much
> in the way that Tails does.

TAILS won't protect you from malware that can escalate privileges and bypass the read-only flag on a USB stick and/or add itself to the BIOS/UEFI firmware. And the malware could come from a compromised network card if that hardware is not isolated.

The main point of Qubes is to not rely on a complex monolithic kernel (Linux, Windows, etc) as your primary means of security... Using a small hypervisor with hardware isolation instead.

The only alternative that I know can be achieved simply is to install an OS like Ubuntu onto the USB stick and then install it again inside a Virtualbox container. Its a step down from Qubes security (and slower than Qubes), but its still a hypervisor and you can keep resetting the VM to an earlier snapshot.

You could also just use a bare Ubuntu or other Linux, and setup different (unprivileged) users for different tasks, like you setup different qubes. It wouldn't be too hard to keep resetting the user directories that need protection. But you're relying entirely on Linux security at that point.

-

Re: Intel processors, have you seen the threads about AMD based hardware like the Lenovo G505s?

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket