On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 05:27:00PM +0000, qtpie wrote:
> panina:
> >

> > On 8/26/19 6:27 PM, 799 wrote:
> >> If you buy the right hardware you'll not run into lots of bugs and get
> >> enough performance to run qubes. You can buy a Lenovo T530/430, W530,
> >> X230 for not much money, add a SSD some RAM and you'll not run into
> >> performance problems (normal use).
> >
> > This is a view that I see quite a lot. It is a whole different
> > discussion. Hence the re-subjecting.
> >
> > Firstly, this view completely lacks class analysis. Not everyone can
> > afford to buy the newest shiny. A lot of us have to use whatever we can
> > get our hands on.
> > Whenever a secure OS is mentioned, Qubes is the go-to. Everyone comes
> > here. The approach that you have to buy new, specific hardware to have a
> > functioning OS means anyone poor, or in a country with a poor dollar
> > exchange rate, is left behind.
> Panina, I hate to say this since class awareness is sorely lacking in
> tech, but in this case I dont agree with you. You dont need to buy the
> latest and/or shiny. If you look up any of the models mentioned
> previously on ebay (Lenovo T530/430, W530, X230) and upgrade those with
> an SSD you can have a fine Qubes laptop for $300 that will last you many
> years. I am personally using qubes for a few years on a laptop from 2014
> just like this. Maybe this could be mentioned more clearly in the docs,
> many people seem to think that they need a new i7 with 16GB+ of ram.
> That is absolutely not the case.
>
> $300 is very different from $1500 but still definitely not free. If I
> take 'latest and shiny' a little less literal and by 'whatever we can
> get our hand on' you mean a laptop you can get for less than $200 or
> even for free, then I retract my point. However this is not really qubes
> can do something about. Hardware related projects have minimum hardware
> requirements, that hardware often (not always) costs money, and money is
> a class issue which it shouldnt be.

I have to point out that you can run Qubes fine with HDD and 12GB RAM -
even 8GB is doable.
quick ebay suggests you can get x230 with *that* config regularly for less than
$200 - i7 with 16GB went for $175 recently.
If you drop down to an i5 (still workable) you can come in at less than
$100.
I know people who are using burners at these specs they have acquired
for free - worth the UX pain for the added security. There's always a
trade off.