Instream...

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 11:39:06 -0700 (PDT)
O K <oak2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>You mean I create a VM with Whonix OS installed (using virtualbox I'm
>guessing)?  I will have to research that, but yes I do need to use a VM, or
>multiple VM's.  I'd also like to find a way to use Firejail to sandbox
>whatever browser I'm using, if that's possible.

What I used to do before I found Qubes was snapshot my running VM's...have one
just for "sandbox" like work.  Whenever I shut them down, I would just revert
to the snapshot.  This ensures that the programs were not modified...similar to
a Qubes template.

When a VM prompted for updates, I would revert to snapshot, do updates, take
new snapshot.  This way the chances of something sneaking in were minimized.
Not perfect, but almost a model of qubes and templates.  Multiple VM's for
different tasks as well. When I discovered Qubes it was very familiar already.

Whonix comes in the gateway and browser VM's for VirtualBox too, and I even had
that running on my home server before I went Qubes.  If you play the same
snapshot/update game with them you can maintain a reasonable level of security.

For persistent data, use an attached HD image which is NOT part of the
snapshot, or some NAS serving VM which does nothing else.

Not perfect, but reasonable.