On 31/08/2019 3.49 PM, 'Heinrich Ulbricht' via qubes-users wrote:
> I need to move Qubes OS and all VMs to a larger SSD since I'm running low
> on disk space.
>
> According to the documentation
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/backup-restore/> this should be easy:
>
>    1. Backup everything
>    2. Install Qubes OS to new SSD
>    3. Restore everything
>    4. Done.

Personally, I would just stick with this. In other words, I would treat
the new Qubes installation as completely new and use qvm-backup-restore
as the only mechanism for migrating my old data to the new installation.
This is the only way I would be confident that I weren't screwing
anything up.

Using the sorts of shortcuts described below might save time, but I
don't know enough about them to be confident that they wouldn't result
in mysterious problems that only manifest later, requiring
troubleshooting that wastes more time than was initially saved.

If I were feeling experimental, I might try out some the unknown
shortcuts first (since I have everything safely backed up), then
reevaluate based on the results of my experiments.

> But my current system has two additional (slower) disks attached for
> storage of larger App VMs (thin storage pools). How do I handle those? I'm
> worried about two scenarios that aren't explicitly mentioned in the
> documentation:
>
> *Scenario A - this is for getting the small SSD replaced by a larger one
> (top priority)*
>
>    - migration of Qubes OS from SSD OLD (the small one) to SSD NEW (larger
>    one)
>    - within the same computer
>    - leaving the other two disks attached, making no changes to them,
>    leaving the App VMs in place
>
> Will this "just work"?
>
> *Scenario B - a future scenario (lower priority)*
>
>    - restore everything to a new computer with new empty disks
>    - while putting the App VMs back to their respective separate disks in
>    the new computer
>
> This scenario I simply did not test yet and the restore UI might provide
> options for this (?). But I did not find documentation about this scenario.
> Any links/hints are appreciated.
>

> How much do I need to worry? What do I need to prepare *in addition* to the
> steps outlined in the documentation
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/backup-restore/>?
>
> (I'm on Qubes OS v4 latest)

- --