On 9/1/19 10:46 AM, 'Heinrich Ulbricht' via qubes-users wrote:
Thank you very much for helping me out on this, awokd and Andrew. Currently I'm leaning toward taking the safe path. If I understand correctly that means:

 1. Backup everything that's on the SSD /and/ the external storage pool
    HDDs - this will take a lot of time and space but that's the price I
    have to pay for the safety I get
 2. Connect the new SSD, wipe the external drives
 3. Install Qubes OS on the new SSD
 4. Create external storage pools on the additional HDDs
 5. Make the SSD the default pool; restore VMs for SSD
 6. Make external disk 1 the default pool; restore VMs for this pool
 7. Make external disk 2 the default pool; restore VMs for this pool
 8. Switch default pool back to SSD
 9. Done

How does this sound?

Hi,

I recently did a hard disk upgrade and reinstall so I followed this same steps.

Generally it should work fine but in mi experience there is a little issue[1] that can cause additional delay on the process. In steps 6/7, if your destination hard disk is slower than the your main hard disk (where dom0 is installed), your backup will be full extracted on dom0, so you can run out of space if you don't take this in account.

If your dom0 is smaller than the total amount to extract, you should restore your domains grouping them in a reasonable amount.

Another way is changing the temporary directory for the restore process but it can not be changed with command arguments. You need to modify 'restore.py' or mount /var/tmp on another device, or use symbolic link.

[1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3230